• Hi, long time since I last posted this is my newest find a Petromax 826 – few things I wanted to ask First is the hood/ventilator is original? Is the wheel is original? Can you help me date this lantern the logo has the E inside the G other then that the model number is engraved on the fount above the Petromax name Thank you for any additional info :prost:

• Zitat

Original von steelkingdom
    Can you help me date this lantern the logo has the E inside the G other then that the model number is engraved on the fount above the Petromax name

the E inside the G shows that at least the fount must be before the 1943

fröhliches Leuchten
    Jürgen

"Die Zukunft sollte man nicht vorhersehen wollen, sondern möglich machen"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

• Hi Thanks for the info :D I therefore can estimate the lantern to the 1930~1943 I have a problem I could use help for The check valve on the Petromax is stuck - and I found out that it has a different check valve then usual - not the one like the 829 that could fit a screw driver but one similar to the image I attached How do I take it out? - Can it be replaced by the modern one? Another question is can I convert the lantern to 500CP by using a 500CP nipple and needle? Thanks a lot Another image of the Check valve added (thanks to simon.w)

• The valve is the same you found in Petromax and BAT stoves.
    It gives a tool to remove.
    It can be replaced by the modern one, that's no problem.
    Also you can use a 500CP nozzle and needle to have a 500CP lamp.

Greetings

Hartmut

Und möge das Licht mit Dir sein. ;)

• Hello,

Your lamp looks great, and fine to see that restoring such and old one into working order is possible!

I have earlier manged to buy a pre-war large Petromax in excellent condition
    (see http://www.pelam.de/petromaxfo…x-826,-aber-wie-alt-.html)
    but last week I found yet another one "oldie" - from closer than I could ever expect... this 821 was forgotten at my late grandparents' summer cottage, buried among abandoned stuff in a shed. A historical Petromax with a family history, not bad! It's here just in the condition as it was when found, I will start working with it when my holiday begins. I have tested that the cleaning rod and pressure pump work, but there seems to be a minor (invisible) leaking point under the tank. Unfortunately the original glass is broken. This one has a slightly different looking hood, note the smaller ventialtion holes, but there are two screws on the top like in yours (a 30´s feature, if I'm not mistaken).

• Hello, Doron,

Here is a picture after first cleaning session. Quite a bit more shiny, but apparently the nickel coating is more or less corroded here and there, I am not sure if anything could to be done to get rid of those matt looking patches without causing more damage than good...

• Zitat

Original von Doron Papo
    Still a very nice find :applaudit:
    now we would like to see it burning :D

Thanks for the compliments and lots of optimism :done:

In one previous posting I wrote that there must be a leak in the bottom of the tank. Following a tip given in another discussion, I sunk the tank into water and found the exact spot: it was in the seam between the bottom plate and the edge of the fount. I have only a low-powered soldering iron (25W) which is not a very good tool to handle anything this big, but I succeed to put some solder over the leak, and it seems to be air tight now.

Unfortunately I found another leak, too, and this one is in a more difficult place (at least to fix without aesthetic damage to the lantern): see the following picture - the bubbles are coming from a microscopic hole halfway the side of the fount. Does anyone have a good tip what to do with this?

• Zitat

Original von Finnmax
    picture - the bubbles are coming from a microscopic hole halfway the side of the fount. Does anyone have a good tip what to do with this?

I got an idea; perhaps I could pour about a large spoonful of liquid acrylic alkyd varnish (or something similar) into the tank and then place the tank in such position that most of the varnish will settle over the area where the almost invisible hole is, forming a hopefully strong enough cover to stop the leak when the varnish hardens. On the other hand, if the varnish will not stick properly to the brass, or will be dissolved over the time by the chemical effect of being in contact with the kerosene, lumps of it may travel to entirely wrong places and cause problems there...