Purchase and 1st try of HK500

• Hi all,

I recently purchased a HK500 chrome from Nauticalia in the U.K. and was eagerly awaiting to try it out as I had heard so many good things about it including where it is made or supposed to be made.

I unpacked it and primed it for use, it being not my first pressure lantern and to tell you the truth my first impressions were not all that positive. Even with all the fittings tightly fastened I was amazed at how much the lamp flexed, not only that but I was surprised at the delicate nature of the metal used. I would say my lamp took a beating as it was being mailed but having assessed it it wouldn't need much to render it inoperable.

As it happens my lamp wouldn't even hold any pressure as the air hissed out of three places, at the preheater nozzle, the lower part of the carburettor and finally at the vent screw.

Now I know there are probably methods to solve these major problems but I am from the old school that when I buy an item, especially one with such a prestigious pedigree, I expect it to work, I'm kinda old fashioned that way. When I buy a tool for a job I don't usually spend months trying to fix the tool and forget what I bought it for.

I can certainly say for sure that the lamp I received last week and the lamps I read about with such an illustrious history are two very different animals. Basically I'd be ashamed at such a decrease in workmanship. To put it more bluntly, it's only a pity the German army in 43 didn't have the lamp as it is made today because the war wouldn't have lasted two days! Just what kind of incandescent crap are Petromax trying to peddle here. Could it be connected with the fact that Petromax's custodians are rather less than forthcoming about where the lamps are made these days?

Well you've basically lost me, I am choosing another lamp make from now on and one that doesn't take a degree in thermodynamics just to light the damn thing. I think Schiller's "spark of light" is well and truly snuffed out.

• Hi Byrnensorg,

I think, you'd found the leaking gap in globalisation... New Petromax-Lamps are made in China now... because, nobody could affort a Lamp, made in Germany any longer...

And, in truth, quality is free falling... - but the shop-owners are trying hard to reach a way in between old quality and an affordable price.

Before you're going to damn all PX-Lanterns, try to get an old army-version, they're handmade in Germany, comfortable in handlimg and just BRIGHT :done:

Best regards, Björn (and Coleman doesn't solve any problems either :naughty:)

• Hi, I understand that globalisation is a factor in deteriorating standards but what really gets me is how companies like these can treat their potential customer base so despicably by out and out lying. By playing up the German heritage and conveniently omitting where the products are made they are selling under false pretenses and contravening amongst others article 6 1.(b) of the Directive 2005/29/EC or the "Unfair Commercial Practices Directive" so it's not just a case that they can do what they like and consumers have to take it up the exhaust. Product standards will slip if consumers continue to allow it to happen. I have no problem with earlier models- you knew what you were getting. That is a nice example. I remember using one when I was in Kassel in 1992, I think it was made in the 60's but I could be wrong but it worked well and lighting and using it was but a minor task and that was the main thing.

• Hi,
    I understand your frustration about this, especially of you bought this lantern assuming that you have a sturdy, long lasting piece of craftmanship.
    If you buy a vinatage lantern and love to do some fettling then these initial troubles are something you do calculate with but a new lantern should be in 100 % working order when purchaised.
    I think all you can do is send this back to where you bought it and request a replacement - the EU law gives you 2 years of warranty.

Sorry for you - if you had asked for advise here I am sure most people would have recommended a german army 500 lantern from the 60s or a swiss army lantern (250 lantern with 500 tank) - these are made in Germany and are very reliable and robust quality.

cheers
    Mike

-Phoebus-Fan

• Hello Lorenzo

The dimensions are identical.

But the processing not. The new lamps are very good. But the processing is not to compare with lamps from the year 1960.

Many greetings, Ernst

Was wir brauchen, sind ein paar verrückte Leute; seht euch an, wohin uns die normalen gebracht haben.

• Yes - I also bought a "only used once" hk500 from china ..but all the websites selling new petromax - states that they are good quality ..

However my 500 worked fine - but but i had to replace - som stuff to get it running .... Also I was annoyed that the petromax logo looked like a copy.. faded an uncomplete ...

I learn that these lamps are quite cheap - if you buy wholesale ...you can have them at around 50 eur ..

So i decided to get a 828er - and WOOOOOOOW a world in difference every thing feels better - things have a tight fit ..and yes Ill recomend every one to get one of these instead of a new .. china lamp

But how many new ones can be available lots for sale here in denmark - in new unused condition they sell for around 75 - 85 eur .. a bargain compared to the 500hk