Graphite tape for gland packing

• Hi every some time last week i started a thread over on CCS about some graphite yarn i purchased to stuff the glands on a few petrol blow lamps i am restoring,even though this yarn works a fellow member has used it as well and said it does not last very long so it is not suitable,after a few discussions on it Markus on here who is all so a member on CCS recomended this graphite tape he uses and gave the web site. the owner Peter Bendel in Germany i contacted Peter via a email even though i can not speak any German i got a very nice email from Peter a realy nice man who was so help full so i purchased some of his graphite tape which the quality is superb and very cheap to buy i am going to replace the graphite yarn in my blowlmaps with this and will now be able to finish my Max Sievert APH petrol/benzin blowlamp,

Here is a pic of the tape i purchased from Peter and you can see what a super quality it is

• Hi Markus i have just fitted the packing to the gland and it looks 100% like the real thing made for that torch it realy is a brilliant product,a very big thank you to you for telling me about it and to Peter when it is finished i will show the whole restoration and of it working i am just waiting on some viton washers for the filler cap

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Hi Brian,

i don't know if my english is good enough, but if I understood you right, I can give you the tip to use Teflon (ptfe)-band for sealing. Here in Germany it's available in every home improvement store for a few bucks and good for any plumber work. It's resistant to most temperatures and lasts an average period of 4000 years - enough for a good restored Petromax pressure lamp :D .
    See you

Orthotiger

• Hi Orthotiger your English is perfect i am surprised that Ptfe would be good in a stove/lantern/and blowtorch i did not think ptfe could resist high tempretures,but is it a special ptfe as the standard ptfe sold here in the UK what plumbers use for joints ,can not resist high tempretures

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Hi Brian,
    you don't need any special ptfe-band, 'cause the standard PTFE-material can permanentely (!) sustain ra. 260°C, which is enough for any sealing at the carburetor or the parts below the gas mantle.
    I just bought a regular plumber band and it works perfect. And I think that the part of the band wrapped around the thread (or wreath?) seals is and can even take higher temperatures then - because it is inside the threat.

See you

Christian

• Oh, by the way, i forgot that for the nozzle windings you can put some "cream" for car exhaust pipes on, it is called "Gun Gum" and sustains 1000°C, as far as I'm concerned.

I hope this will help you.

See ya

Christian