Tilley 246 Guardsman

• Hi Leuchtkraft thank you very much this model was the best of all the 246's produced the tank not only looks better than the modern 246B it is heavier and is made of a thicker gauge brass making it stronger and the pump and control cock/valve is made of brass and not alli.

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Hi Brian,
    I got the same lamp, it was a present some years ago, and yes, it is a very reliable lamp and I like it much- for it is and will stay my only british lamp. :rauch:

4 Years with the same mantle, and she drinks what she gets... kero, petrol, mixture...
    Only the enamel is a bit cryppling. ;(

Be sure to make a few nice pictures while restauring/cleaning. :done:
    Good Luck, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• These are a great old lamp Bjorn, not like the ones produced today, they are very common in Ozz, i have one i bought more than twenty years ago before the lamp bug bit me, still looks and goes great, i have heaps of good spares if you need them for free, just freight, enjoy the restoration, Frank

• Hi Frank,

thanks a lot for your offer, actually I have some spareparts in storage, so there is no need by now, but I will remember :done:

Maybe Brian needs some parts ?

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Hello Brian, if you need some spares, just mail me what you require, better someone use them than just horded up, regards, Frank :thumbsup: by the way, sorry Brian, i put the wrong person to the post on Guardsman, must have been asleep. :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von aussie bloke ()

• Hi Bijorn and Aussie Bloke many thanks for your compliements and your very generous offer of help i have started restoring it i have cleaned all the brass work and derusted the cage and handle i will respray that with some silver high tempreture paint as it has only a few spots of chrome left on it, i am waiting for a delivery of some viton washers made by the founder of my other pressure lantern/stove forum if i see a brown hood on ebay that is in better condition than this one that is cheap i will buy it the only part that may need replaceing is the vapouriser.

it is comming along nicely at the moment i forgot to mention i have desoldered the bad solder repair on top of the tank and re soldered it and buffed it up on my polisher

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn: