Coleman 639 kerosene/paraffin lantern

• Hi forum, last week a won a Coleman639 kerosene lantern on ebay., it was made in1973 so it is exactly 40 years old.

I have been after one of these style lanterns, with the convex/ barrelled globe for a long time and I was very lucky no one bidded on it.
    It has been used and for it's age in good condition, all that I have really done with this lantern is to repaint the tank and apply a new decal, as there was few very light rust spots breaking through the paint. so I decided to repaint the tank to protect the steel tank from rusting.

The Coleman 639, is a beautiful well made lantern and is now my favourite, I forgot to mention it is a 500cp lamp so it puts out a great amount of light.

Here are a few pictures of various stages of restoration, I will have to upload the pics in two chapters

• Hi Brian,
    Congratulation for this good lanterne :respekt:
    I have the same,bute made in 1993.
    I never had problems with this lanterne.
    I use gold tope 1111 mantles for a long time.

Reinhard

• Hi again forum, here is the second chapter of the coleman639 restoration.

After I stripped all the old paint of the tank, I keyed the surface with some medium grade wet and dry paper, I then gave it three light coats of red oxide primmer, then three light coats of Ford pine green, which I was not happy with the colour match so I gave it two coats of plasti- kote lawn green, and I then put the new Coleman decal on, and then re assembled the lantern here are the next chapter of pictures showing the process.

• Hallo Apollo11 many kind thanks for your compliments, I have purchased some 1111 mantels made in the phillipines by Gasman mantle MFG CORP they are really good, I think the petromax 500cp mantles should also work well

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Hi, Brian!

In my opinion the GASMAN mantles are the finest and brightest shining 500 CP mantles you can get. And they have a very good durability.
    I don´t know which mantle could be comparable. ?(

Best regards, Gerald

Die wahren Lebenskünstler sind bereits glücklich, wenn sie nicht unglücklich sind. (Jean Anouilh)

• Hi Brian,

a very nice find You ´ve made, in deed!

Congrats also for the pretty good job You did on restauration. The result is worth all the energy You put in I guess!!!!!

:respekt:

Have fun with the lantern every time You will light it!

Christian

Hier wird das Licht von Hand gemacht...
    ... und der Motor gehört nach hinten!

• Hi Christian, wie sie sind many thanks for such a kind compliement .

Hi Gerald I agree with you they are really nice quality, I notice they are woven very tightly compared to all the mantles I have used, I wonder if that has any thing to do with the light out put and durability.
    I forgot here is a close up of one of the GASMAN mantles fitted to the lantern.

• Hi Brian,

very nice lantern and good job! :wiegeil: I like these 639. I have one also and it works very nice...!

Best regards Carsten