some nice finds

• Hi fellas, had a good weekend lamp hunting at the annual two day junk sale recently held, a Coleman 118, do not know much about them, primus 1020, the older Tilley that i am chuffed with, not sure about the middle Coleman 242, has no markings except made in Canada and it has a NRV like the Petromax style, and a great condition 246, though i am really pleased with my haul :D i think i might have used up my lamp liberty for the year with the wife :frau:

• Oh wow, great catch!

The old coleman table lamp is a rare and a wonderful model.
    Also the old Tilley and Primus lamps, I think you might have made a great deal :done:
    There are some members here, who might have good advices to complete your new old table lamp, surely:
    Some of them own those models by themselves and do know some traders in US who still do have parts as shades and so on.

Thanks for sharing those lamps with us.

(I do like the old guardsman most, she seems to be surrounded by a shpere of aged nobility)

Until soon, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Hi Aussie bloke congratulations on a superb find every on of your lanterns is a prized addition to any collection.i am not surprised you are chuffed with the older Tilley with the pork pie shaped tank they are highly sought after by collectors and all ways gets loads of bids on ebay,even the 246Guardsman has a electro plaited tank which is in superb condition,and three great colemans even the 242 kerosene lantern is a nice find as most models of coleman are white gas fuelled,well done there on a awsome addition to your collection :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Thanks for the replies Bjorn, Brian, some help with a couple of these lamps would be most welcome, the 118, can it run on kero :?: as i only have kero lamps, the little coleman i do not know if it is a 242 or a 241 kero, i read somewhere that the Australian railways back in the thirties ordered these from Canada, the old pork pie Tilley runs just beautiful after new seals, i could not afford the ebay offers so that alone was a steal for forty OZ bucks, cheers Frank. :thumbsup:

• Hey Frank

Nice finds is an understatement 8o

The 242 is possibly a 249 kero...made in Australia by arrangement Coleman company Canada...has it colex marked on the globe???...if so its the original... I'm working on the other coleman lantern.....but I can tell you its a super find..

OCD.. Obsessive Coleman Disorder 8o

• Frank

Can you post some pics of the that other Coleman,,,Stamp/markings on tank...check underneath too...

• Hi Michael, i will post some more close up picks tomorrow of any markings i can find, i have a 249 and a 247 Coleman, but this one has the same thin type generator as the 247, and it does not have the positive shut off stem in the pump handle, thanks for the help Michael.

• lol...Frank you must not send that lamp to Peer...he will only break it :rofl: but by all means send it here :whistling:

yes I see what you mean about the pump and gen...interesting...I;m doing a lot of head scratching here ?(

• Peer
    :rofl: :rofl:

The lamp is coming to Ireland...Germany is to cold for this fine lamp :whistling: :rofl: :po: :po:

• Hi Peer, you are right i do need space for these new lamps, but i will let you know if i can't fit them in, weather conditions aside, i would just hate myself if i sent the table lamp to either of you and ended up starting a European war, :D :respekt: Frank

• Hello again fellas, hope you are all keeping warm at night around a lamp or two as you work, couple more picks of the Coleman 241, 242 kero :?: it came with a strange frosted companion brand globe, there is only one identification mark as you can see, would be good to know what model lantern this is, kind regards to all, Frank .

• Hi Frank

The date on the fount would indicate its a 242 or 242A

The 242 was in production form 1932-35

242A from 1935-36

Both models had no air shut off....Pump/valve stem would have been fixed to check valve without the option of screwing the pump clockwise to close valve...as in later models...the primer cup might be able to give us the model....

• Its possibly that the gen is not correct...looks a bit slack on diameter....the interesting thing about your lantern is Coleman Canada made a kerosene version of the 242 ...the 242K...but the needle cleaning assembly was a knob to turn as apposed to the bent wire on the standard 242's...