Feuerhand 276 Hurricane lantern

• Good morning forum, yesterday in the post arrived my new Feuerhand 276 baby special.

I have been thinking of buying a good quality hurricane lantern for some time now, i have a couple of very cheap and nasty quality ones in the shed.I was amazed and very pleased with the very high quality, i love the zink electro plating
    far nicer than the normal galvanised type even the good quality lanterns.

Another great feature i love about the Feuerhand is the beautiful embossed lettering and logos on the tank and chimney cap.

I paid £18 for this beauty far more than the cheap one in the shed, but it well worth the price with its beautiful build quality and design and the light out put is better.

It looks so nice it will look fantastic just as a ornament.

• Hallo forum i have a few more pics of the beautiful Feuerhand 276 next to the cheap unnamed lantern to show what the difference in quality.

These pics show how superior the Feuerhand is to the cheap lantern, the first pic shows both lanterns side by side, the black lantern has more dirt and has some over spray of red oxide paint on it.
    But you can see how the quality build of both lanterns.

The second pic is of the cheaper lantern's tank as you can see there is no embossing on the tank or the filler cap unlike the Feuerhand.

The third pic shows the quality of both the burners.

The last pic is of both the lanterns lit

• Hallo Marcus thank you very much for your comment, they are a beautiful lantern so much detail and embossed lettering.

I am a bit of both mostly collector, but i do love to use them all my stoves blow torches and lanterns are restored to good working order.

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Hi Brian,
    each year in may is a lantern collectors meeting in Sassenberg/Germany.
    At this meeting a special series of Feuerhand 276 is sold. With tank print/embossing "Sassenberg 2017" this year. Limited production of 80 Pieces.

So if you are after something real rare, have a lok at the Sassenberg thread here.
    :-)

regards willi

Demut tät' uns allen gut.

• Hi Willi the thread does not seem to work, but just 80 pieces that will cause a great demand and sure to generate a great price.

A great addition to a collection

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Brian,
    price is shown in the thread as 19 € if paid in advance and 23 € if paid at the Sassenberg meeting.
    However, I do not now whether lantern can be shipped as well if you do not attend the meeting.
    The guy who organized the special edition issue has got the username KLINGSOR. Just try the searching function.
    BR
    Andy

Grüße

Andy

Fiat Lux !

• I have a small selection of lanterns. I will post a picture in the future.

Recently I got a Feurhand and one thing that could be improved is the lever that lifts the glass globe scratches the finish off the lantern. Mine is bright yellow and after lifting up the globe a few times the yellow is gone and it's down to the galvanized metal. Otherwise it's a very nice lantern. And I have some Chinese Dietz so it's good to find a European lantern and not only light from the east.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von nomad ()

• Hi Brian, et al.

you could as well look out for some other well made lanterns from other European manufacturers.

Guillouard Luciole , France

Chalwyn Far East, UK

Meva 863, Czechoslovakia

some still available in NOS, or even in production.

regards

willi

Demut tät' uns allen gut.

• Hi bp4willi

You are right, Chalwyn is still available. I bought one recently. The supply of Meva is drying up at least here in Czech Republic it has become difficult to find them new or in acceptable condition. Also unfortunately many recent products are made under this name. You will find some Coleman-type gas lanterns and electric lanterns and other miscellaneous items. It's now difficult to search.

I should post in the next few weeks a photo of a small number of lanterns I bought recently. Thank you for information regarding the French lantern. I didn't know this brand. Is it still made in France?

Update: I see from this page https://www.guillouard.com/en/the-storm-lamp-is-back/ that the Guillouard Luciole lamp is now made since December 2018 in Slovakia. So it might be a nice lamp for use but perhaps the originals would be more for the collection.