@ aussie bloke: Tito Landi

• Hi Frank,

you will find information on Tito Landi in the thread about my lamp:
    Hurra, meine erste Tito Landi
    within you will also find a link to a video of mine in youtube (incl. start).

Kann man aus dem 18 x 80 mm Tito Landi Brenner wirklich 120 HK erhalten? Ist eine Tito dimmbar?
    Aladdin Glühstrümpfe, oder: "wie back' ich mir einen Tito Landi Glühkörper"
    wie befestige ich einen satinierten Kugelschirm, eine Tulpe oder einen Vestasschirm an der Tito Landi

But you will have to use the google translator function (e.g. part of google toolbar functions), as all entries are in German.

Your success depends on the quality of the lamp you receive.
    -- the ventilation tube in the tank might be leaking
    -- as well was the lower part of the burner at the soldering between inner an outer tube
    -- the wick might be rubbish if the lamp was operated with spirit/alcohol before; Tito's are usually intended for use with gasoline
    -- the mantle holder fork is most oftenly missing but can be replaced by any own constrution
    -- Peter Bendel has a very good mantle holder construction for use with standard 500cp mantles
    -- otherwise you need for operation in classical, original manner usage a veritas upright gas mantle (USA, UK)
    -- the chimney might be missing; tito's need a straight cylinder
    -- the starter fork with asbestos tissue for Spirit-pre-heating is usually missing as well; but that is ok as asbestos is harmful;
    so replacement is needed in form of glasfiber; either on a 'fork' or as permanent mounted preheating device (as on my lamp)

I do rarely use this lamp in my living room. I was interested in studying the principle. But operation with highly flammable liquids (gasoline+spirit) in the livingroom with loads of easily inflammable furniture etc is risky.

And the classical free hanging mantle is very fragile. So moving the lamp around you risk to brake and lose the mantle. Peter Bendels mantle holder keeps it much better in place.

I will place this also in the english area of the forum. Lets talk there further. So others can read an learn as well.
    best regards
    willi

Demut tät' uns allen gut.

• Gd'ay Willi, thanks for getting back about the tito landi lamp, i saw one of these lamps operating on ebay that was for sale and it looked very bright, it seems that some think they are a little dangerous to operate, i am interested in the alcohol type, also i understand that there are German lamps of this type, i would be interested to know of these, regards Frank :thumbsup:

• OK. But be aware that with alcohol the wick deteriorates, due to the water portion in it.
    The Tito Landi is the only lamp of this type/principle I own. But there are for sure several other users in this forum who can give you advice on further models.
    br
    willi

Demut tät' uns allen gut.