Better light with an « old » lantern…

• HI All, I bought on ebay my second Petromax lantern and, following the great suggestions on this site, I easily repared it and it works great now, thans! :merci:

It’s actually a Geniol German military model HK500 829B but it’s written Petromax on several parts, is it the same company? I don’t know how if it’s possible to know its age, do you have any suggestions?

By the way it works so great that it makes a bit more light than the new Patromax HK500 that I bought 3 months ago. :applaudit:

I’m surprised as it should be the very same nozzle and power, is there any regulation to apply on the more recent model? I already tried the mixing tube paddle and it seems an optimium setting...

Thanks again for your help!
    Carlo

• Hi Carlo,

Petromax built Lanterns from the late 1950ies up to 1970, where Heinze-Wuppertal bought the license and produced on under the brand Geniol.
    Heinze stopped producing in Germany and started a produktion in Portugal, later in China. In 2004, Heinze was bankrupt and Pelam bought the license and produced Petromax-Lanterns again.

You can change through all parts between all three labels- but within the newer ones, you will find dismeasures and little quality-leaks.

Although, the difference in brightness can only be solved by the used mantle and the distance between nozzle and mixingtube.
    In perfekt distance, the distance should be 16 millimeters - higher means brighter but could cause damage to the mixingtube, lower makes the lantern burn yellow - too fat mixture, it is darker and smells/smokes.

Best Regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Thanks Bjiörn!

I checked the distance between nozzle and mixing tube and brightness is now pretty the same :-)

The only issue remaining is that the new Petromax generator is higher and to obtain exacly 14mm (I used the Petromax tool) I should put the mixing tube pratically out the hole in the inner casing...

I attach 2 photos to show the difference, the Petromax (recent) has the highest generator.

Is there any way the change this or is it normal?

Thanks in advance!
    Carlo

• Hmm - your vaporizer looks verry high, in deed?(

I would guess, the main difference will be found in several led-seals under your higher vaporizer...

Some people do not change them while working in their lanterns, but just put a new one right over the old.

Just a guess :naughty:

Best regards, Björn

God created men.

• Thanks Bijorn! I actually changed recently the vaporizer's lead seal and I am 100% sure there is only one and the vaporizer is strongly screwed in :-)

My guess is that the upper part of the vaporizer is simply longer than it should... anyway, it works pretty well and even if there is a bit less brightness is not so important. I just wanted making sure that I didn't anything wrong mounting it!

By the way, I thought that it was mandatory stamping where products are made but I could'nt find any "made in China" on the lantern, is there one hidden somewhere?

:gaehn:

Carlo

• just took a look on my old Petromax Army from the early sixties, the vaporizer is longer, too- seems it is produced this way.

No, there is noch "made in china" hidden somewhere, only in the sixties, there was a serial-Number under the tank on civil versions, where the day of produktion could be figured out.
    The army-models had a plate on the side with month and year of produktion.

The main difference is
    "Petromax Made in Germany" built in Germany
    or

"Petromax Germany" - built somewhere else, german patent-license

Geniol has no marks in that way, and it is hard to figure out, if it is made in Portugal or in China. But Geniol-Lanterns have also that metal-plate on one side, printed with:

6260-12-124-5746
    BUND
    829B 500HK [month / Year]

The field with carved in month and year of produktion is empty at many lanterns of Geniol. not quite sure, why.

Best regards, Björn

God created men.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Benz-ihn ()

• I can reach 16 mm without problems, but now I got your problem,
    I read through the upper postings and in first row, I thought that yor old vaporizer would be longer - if it is a new one, like you wrote, then it is a false produktion from China - those guys do not have it that much with German industrial normation - maybe you can change it into a fitting one?

Best regards, Björn

God created men.