liquid spay out of nozzle while pumping

• Hi all,

I got a quiestion about the HK500.
    I got the lamp for 2 days now and the first time i used it it all went pefectly.
    But now when i try to use him the second time i put the needed presure on the lamp and when i used the pre heater the whole lamp caught fire. I quickly turned of the lamp and decreased the presure and it took me a while to put out the fire.
    After 10 minutes of cooldown i took of the hood to check out what was wrong. I noticed that when i put presure to the lamp a tiny stream of liquid petrolium comes out of the spray nozzle and ofcourse the gripwheel was in the right potion (closed).

I find it hard to believe the lamp is allready broken so i must have done something wrong so i hope some one here can help me with this problem.

• Hi Quidam
    and welcome to the forum.

Your problem is quite simple and appears from time to time.

The valve in the tank got stuck.

Before you start to dismantle the entire lamp, turn the wheel several times until you detect a kind of counter pressure. Some knocking on the tank, when the handwheel stands open, might resolve that issue as well. I really mean knocking, not bashing :besserwisser:

Simply try it without the hat, inner mantle and glass. If this procedure is without success, you have to repair that valve. Not a big deal, but takes some minutes, not hours.

If so, please keep posted and we will provide you the entire "how-to-repair"

Cheers,
    Wilm

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

• thanks for the quick reply, i did what u told me .. first the turning of the wheel then the knocking and after that some bashing to make sure i did evrything i could , but the problem remains. I thought about dismanteling to see what is wrong but in the manual i noticed a lead ring'(90) that cant be used twice .. i don't got a spare one and don't know where to get it in holland. (it's not included in the repair set either)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Quidam ()

• Hi, you can order the part from the shop in which this forum is hosted under.
    Does your lantern have a alcohol pre-heating cup?
    if so you could bypass the problem, instead of pre-heating using the torch you can pre-heat using alcohol.
    light the alcohol and let it heat the lantern, just when alcohol is starting to run out you can start pumping the lantern will light and will not burst in flame and you can start building pressure as the lantern heats up.
    the design on the fuel shut off valve inside the tank is not perfect and could get stuck but that problem could be bypassed.
    also it is not usually used for turnnig off the lantern but by releasing the pressure.

• Well lets start at the beginning .. i took the lamp back to the store and with some arguing i got a new one frome the shop owner.
    So i did what i needed to do when u use the lamp for first time, reading the instructions once more to make sure i did evrything right. And again ..the first time it al went great. after 5 minutes i turned off the lamp took off the presure and let it cool down. After 1.5 hours i tried it again and the same problem happend again.
    SO .. i tried to do it the way doron papo discribed in earlyer reply. I put some alcohol in the alcohol in the cup .. made sure the lamp was turned "off" lighted the alcohol waited for over 2 minutes for the alcohol to nearly burn all the way., Started pumping and again a tiny liquid stream of petrol came out of the nozzle. i quickly took off al presure and tried to blow out the flame in the cup ... but to late the whole lamp caught fire again .. including the pavement.

I'm starting to give up, i bought the lamp because i liked the look of it But all the fun is gone about now.

• That is strange,
    first question are using petrol/gasoline or kerosene/paraffin?
    you should use only kerosene in the lantern.
    second did you start with just a few strokes before going to full pressure?
    sounds like the lantern was not hot enough from the pre-heating, what is the outside temperature?
    btw having two lanterns new havinf the same problem is very odd, what brand in the lantern?

• First i use what the dutch call petroleum (i use what is discribed in the dutch manual) it catches fire when it hits 70 degrees celcius.
    Second only a few strokes with the gripwheel closed. The needel of presure meter didn't even move yet. And i preheated with alcohol for about 2 minutes.
    Third it's a original PETROMAX HK 500.
    And i think it's odd i was al excited when the shopkeeper finaly caved and gave me a new one. i thought evrything would be okay with the new one.
    And i did evrything according to the manual i got the original manual where i used the english language and a translated manual from the shop, but both manuals tell me the same thing.

• OK -got more info.
    before going and taking the lantern apart, try to pre-heat twice and see if it happens.
    but this time just pump one or two strokes and see in the mantle starts to light dimly.
    and increasing pressure very slowly.
    I understand you are in Holland?

• Thanks doron papo with the last post i tried it a few times. And i'm not a complete idiot so with evry try when it went wrong i thought what i could do to fix it.
    Sinds you didn't tell me if i should open the wheel or not i experimented with that. Closed doesn't work, the kerosene does vaporise but there is not enough gas to light the lamp.
    completely open doesn;t work either cause than liquid kerosene poppes out again. But when u turn it about 1/3 open it works kinda. I did do some practise open/close build presure and release presure. but after 5 or 6 tries i got the lamp going .. SO THANKS A LOT.

In the end i'm happy and sad at the same time. Happy because i know i can use the lamp. But sad because it doens't work as it should do. Maybe in the near future i wil ask for your help once more to dismantle the lamp and try to fix the main problem.

Thanks again.

• This is how I start my lantern which has same issue as yours (faulty seal at the fuel pickup). I start it with no pressure. Leave the screw undone on the fuel tank, turn the wheel to downwards/open position. Fill the spirit cup with alcohol and light it. When it boils and is almost finished tighten the fuel tank screw and give it about 10 strokes it should light up with a pop. After a minute or so pump it up to full pressure.

This way you should have no premature fuel fireballing out the top of your lantern :-)

If you want to fix the valve its a fairly simple and quick.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hangul ()

• Hello,

I disassembled the generator and discovered that the plastic ring fitting into #193 was not completely flat. I put it correctly in it support and, after reassembling all parts, anything works correctly now!!! Without replacing any parts! :naughty:

Thanks all for your help!

Cheers,
    Carlo