Mantle problem

• After restoring my “new” Petromax 829 (Original not a clone) I lighted it
    It burned very well and very bright for about 15min but I noticed something interesting - there was a flame halo around the mantle (mainly on the sides)
    Is that normal?
    The other thing that happened is when I moved the burning lantern to a new location when setting it on the floor again (with a small thump sorry to say) the mantle broke in half and the lantern went off
    Thank god for using kerosene I don’t want to thing what could have happed with Coleman fuel.
    The other question is petromax mantles are known as fragile as this never happened to me with a Coleman mantle – is there a recommended brand of mantles for the petromax?
    I use what is seems to be original petromax mantles
    Any insights are welcome
    Image of the mantle packege:
    http://groups.msn.com/DPColema…ction=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3

• Hi Steelkingdom,
    a flame halo around the mantle is normal at the beginning of burning with a new mantle.
    After a while it schould be gone. If nat, you may have the problem, that the burnchamber is not ok.
    Small wholes, which you can only see under a microscope, could be the reason for that. Other reason is a
    too small mantle e. g. 250 in a 500 Lamp. This would also explain the sudden broken Mantle.
    An othere reason for the broken mantle is that it could have had a whole in there, which break during the movement.

• Thank you for the responce
    What do you mean by problem in the burnchamber?
    I have checked it and it looks solid and also adjusted the space between the nipple and U-tube
    Another question dose the lantern must have the top hood (vetilator) to burn properly?

• Yes of course, the Tophood should be closed. If not the latern gets too much air and burns too highlight.
    This could also cause the problem with the flame halo around the mantle. Make shure, that the
    burnchamber is fixed and the ceramic Burner is even fixed and tietend. Also check the Nipple (50).

If the burnchamber is poroes, the flame aura looks like in your description. That happened even to me.

• Hi Steelkingdom,
    you'll find the part in the Pelamshop under the Name : Mixing chamber (Partnumber 34) sorry for
    my worse translation, but english is not my natural language.

• Hello Joern
    Again Thank you very much for your help
    As I thoght I was thinking of a different part - thank you for correcting me
    I will check the lntern and retest it tonight when I get home
    There is no need to apologize for the english its exellent
    And there is a contact place for Petromax questions in english.
    Till now I had only Coleman Lanterns and My 829 is my first petromax and it is was fun restoring it. and it opens a hole new fieild of collecting and Pleam is an exellent place for parts

Again thank you very much and hope to meet again on my next petromax

• Hi there,

welcome to "our" little forum. ;)

To your mantles: You seem to use an original old mantle from Petromax - Heinze.
    The nowadays poroduced ones are almost as good - as long you don't move yout lamp during use.

The mantle is like a fine net of ash and can be destroyed easliy.
    But when the mantle is cold you transport the lamps even with bigger shocks without consequences.

There are Two-Hole-Mantles, which are to sustain more shocks during burning, they are mounted with a special adapter (looks like a kind of C-Clamp).

Normally this should also happen to Coleman mantles or you were lucky so far :)

Hope I could've helped you a little.

See You

Orthotiger

• Zitat

Original von steelkingdom
    The other question is petromax mantles are known as fragile as this never happened to me with a Coleman mantle – is there a recommended brand of mantles for the petromax?
    ...[/URL]

Hi steelkingdom,
    welcome in this Forum.

I made the same experiences with the mantles of petromax and coleman. During manitenace work at both lamps i recognized that the petromax mantle is more fragile. With a strong breathe it was possible to destroy the petromax mantle, but not with the coleman. And a touching test at the mantles shows the coleman mantle with more density.

Translatetd from common german a mantel is nick named with "socks", have you something comparable ?

fröhliches Leuchten
    Jürgen

"Die Zukunft sollte man nicht vorhersehen wollen, sondern möglich machen"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Jürgen ()

• Hi
    This petromax is my first one - hopefully not my last
    I have a few Coleman's and never before a mantle broke off a Coleman lantern even very old mantles.
    I don't have 500CP Coleman mantles as I don't have any 500CP Coleman lanterns :( (except the northstar but it uses a tube mantle)
    I did play around with Coleman's and they do seem a bit stronger and more dense
    I will order some 500CP mantles (#11 or #1111) the next time I order Coleman parts and I will do a small experiment and I will post the results here
    one thing - I have only 1960's brand petromax mantles (German army surplus) and did not try other brands

• Hi Steelkingdom,
    don't use this mantles, just sell them... :D They are old, and requested by collectors. They are a little bit
    more highlight, but they are using Thorium, which is a little radioactiv. I use the Pelam Mantles, and i'm happy
    with that Brand. I don't have any problems with that. Sometime one is destroied, but mostly because of
    my fault during mounting and repairing. May be 2 have been destroid during the use. It's an 12 Maxelaterns
    a verry little rate. So try them out, if you order next time at Pelam Shop.

• About mantles:
    I've found my first pressure lamp during a trekking on a mountain, may be forgotten by a hunter ( an Hipolito HK500) . It was integer, but without mantle. A friend of me, gave me a mantle of the right size, made in Hong Kong that emits a fantastic white light and is still at work. After, buyng another lamp,( it's becoming an hobby) a Petromax 500, I've noticed that with the original Pelam mantle, the light is yellowish compared with the Asiatic mantle, good for a romantic night with the girl of your dreams, but less good for an efficient illumination of my garden. Of course the experiment is not perfect, I should try different mantles on the same lamp, but the difference is evident. Someone has an expanation for this fact?
    Thank you
    Carlo Bianconi
    Italy

• The explanation is verry simple : You bought the new Pelam Mantles which are 100% free of radioactivity...
    They are a little bit more yellow than the others. I prefere the not so healthy radioactive ones, they spend an
    great white light.

• Good idea,
    can you tell me where can I buy the " slightly radioactive" mantles?
    I have a large area to illuminate and the wite light is more performant.
    Thank you
    Carlo

• Thank you.
    By the way, I'v seen on Pelam's site that are for sale " Original Petromax Torium mantles".
    May be these are of the old generation and make a brighter light?
    Regards
    Carlo

• Yes they do. We sell them normally to universities for experiments.

We have also other mantles in stock that make a bright light they are cheaper then the old Petromax one, and not so radioactive.

It you need anything just send me an e-mail.

We made the experience that it is possible to get the same white light with our non radioactive pelam mantles when the lantern is working properly.