Poor light output

• Hi all,
    I have two Petromax lanterns one circa 1960's the other fairly new (bought 5-6 years ago) both are 500 and both have 500 needles and 500 nipples, the 1960's lamp consistently produces bright white light, the newer one has always produced a far more yellow and dimmer light. I have checked for leaks (in a bucket of water no leaks found even from the fast ignighter), the adjustment of the air fuel mixture is correct, as is the butterfly fine adjustment, I have sealed the butterfly adjuster with fine grade exhaust sealant in case any vapour was escaping past the mixing tube, the burner is clean (always cleaned at a mantle change), checked the carburettor rod for carbon deposits (cleaned with fine wire wool) and adjusted the needle height as it was a fraction too high and whilst I had the helical vaporiser off I cleaned it out with a piece of bycycle brake wire (not an easy task). I have tried different pressures on both lamps as I am aware that two pumps will produce different pressures as will the pressure gauges register different readings. Does anyone have any thoughts? Comments would be greatly appreciated. :weizen:

• Hello
    as it is not clear what exactly the output differents are you describe (photos could help more)
    some more assumptions/ ideas:
    -strainer mesh at bottom of carburator patly blocked (the part which is in the tank) partly blocked (dirt, tar...)?
    - inside of tank clean (remaining parts of old fuel sometimes quite ropy and may block the fuel valve and reduce fuel flow.
    -misadjustment of carburator tube on top (incorrect distance between nozzle and upper tube. -->Distance too small means too fat gas mixture. Sometimes, optimum distance differs from the official gauge ( supplied with the lamps)
    - are all parts tightened enougt, nozzle, clay burner....?
    - try interchange both nozzles (sometimes nozzles are not as marked...)
    -try another mantle from different supplier. Variations in light (white, bright light....more yellow at less brightness) were sometimes watched with different mantles.
    - what kind of fuel do you use? Same in both lamps?

Andy

Grüße

Andy

Fiat Lux !

• Hello, :welcome:
    I hope that the translator made no mistakes.
    In this forum there are multiple threads to.
    Likewise solutions.
    Are the socks the same?
    Is it the quality of the socks?
    If the identical Petroleum used?
    Is the petroleum mixture too rich or lean?
    The only solution is to try and use some other values such as mixing tube spacing and various options in combination with pressure and try ...
    :foto:

Aus einer sehr alten Schrift :

Das Licht leuchte ihnen ... :fechten:

• Thank you both for your replies, I will have a go at flushing the tank/font out, there was sand deposits in the tank when I first bought the lamp, I am now wondering if I flushed all the sand all out. Fuel, mantles and everything else are all the same in both lamps. I only buy my mantles from Pelham and I will try swapping over the ceramic nozzles at next mantle change.

• No, this is a misunderstanding!
    Swapping over ceramic nozzle (clay burner) is uselessi unless it is broken....

I meant -what you call nipple- the petroleum brass nozzle. Try to interchange it and carefully look for the distance between top of this nozzzle and the distance to the mixer tube (U-shape).
    Distance is important and can be adjusted. I there is no gauge available try 14 to 15 millimeter distance (top of nozzle-edge of mixer tube)

Grüße

Andy

Fiat Lux !

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Netzwerk ()