• I found a pressure lantern Hipolito H302/350, a used one. I am new to these lanterns so I would have some questions.

What is the manufacturer "Hipolito" and where is this lantern made?
    Is it possible to know what is the age of the lantern (approximately) ?
    Are Petromax parts suitable for this lantern? It looks quite much the same. Probably I will need parts like needle, jet, gaskets, etc.
    What kind of a lantern is this, is it good or bad? I just bought it as the price was very affordable. I wanted a one
    which I can try to restore.

I am thinkin should I just try the lantern to see if it works or put it already in pieces and start polishing. It looks quite terrible for the beginning. It is not rust but some sort of oxidation. Is it possible to make it shine again?

• The Hipolito brand was made by Casa Hipolito SA at Torre Vedras, Portugal.
    From about 1970 to 1990, Hipolito, Geniol and Petromax lamps were made there.
    All three brands use the same identical parts, so modern Petromax parts will fit to your Hipolito.

As it is the same lamp as a Petromax, the Hipolito lamps are as good, as Petromax.
    Just clean it properly, replace vital parts and light it !

• Nice to hear, I can be sure I get spare parts.

So this equals to HK350. What are the main differences between models HK350 and HK500? They have the same dimensions and look the same.

Also please comment if you have any advise for cleaning & polishing. I think this lantern has been stored outside for years and there is some job to do with it.

• the only differences are the nozzle bore and therefor the size of the cleaning needle.

I would disassemble the lamp and spray some descaling agent (toilet cleaner) on the chromium parts.
    the inside of the tank I would use acetone.
    to polish the chromium parts, you can use car polish.

• Thanks for your hints.
    I understand that if I change the nozzle and needle it actually is the same as HK500.
    Does someone know about the consumption between the two options ?
    Has anyone used metal polishing pastes like Autosol?

• Thanks for your hints.
    I understand that if I change the nozzle and needle it actually is the same as HK500.

yes :done:

I have no comparison, but the 350 HK should last about 10 hrs, depending on the pressure.
    (my 250 HK with 1 Liter tank lasts at least about 14 hrs with petrol)

autosol is great :done:

• Descaling agent cleaner worked really great. It started to shine already just after cleaning I hadn't even started the polishing yet. The only thing that is still not in back in chrome color is the top part of the lantern. I guess that it has just been working so hot that the surface is too damaged. I hope there will be still one more picture soon when the lantern is lighted up. :rolleyes:

• The colour of the Hood is normal, as you said in cause of the heat.

The only way to get and hold a shiny one is to order a new one and use it only when not lighting, change it with the used one before every using or change the System to Alcohol in low pressure mode, there are moderate temperatures in use. :hicks:

• Today I finally tested the lantern. I feel a kind of lucky, it works perfectly. I only had to oil the piston to get pressure in the tank and put a new mantle.

Some questions I still have

Is the working pressure of this bigger lantern the same 2,5 bar as in the smaller one?

There is still some small spot in the tank body where the chrome is missing. Is there any sort of paint which might be considered for a small touch-up repair or should I leave it?

Has anyone tried the side reflector? Or is the top reflector correct one if you use the lantern as a garden light?

I think it needs some reflector it is so bright :)

Is the mantle the same for HK350 and HK500? Pelam has different product numbers for these. But someone in ebay offers same mantle for both.

• No - the 350 is smaller than the 500 type

but it will works - but better is a mantel
    that fits to the lamp

best regards

Eugen j.keusen

and at least - congratulation for these fine
    working lamp in these ( now ) good condition

es grüßt freundlichst Euer Mod

Eugen J.Keusen

KEUSEN@KEUSEN.DE Das Leben ist zu kurz um sich zu ärgern, genieße jeden Tag.

• OK thanks. I ordered spare mantles that were specified only for the HK350.
    About the reflectors, I think top reflector is a good choice for a garden light (I have it on my HK150) but if someone has experience from the side reflector or the beamless glass, any comments are welcome.