Petromax HK500, dripping kerosene

• Hi!

I am totally new to both this forum and to these kind of lamps aswell. I bought a Petromax HK500 with top reflector, new in box off Ebay. It did work from the start, but after a few hours I started to get problems that I am sure you can help me with. I use to start the lamp by using the rapid burner for 90 seconds atleast.

- The manometer is broken. The needle stays around two bars whatever I do to it. Is the pressure really important for the lamp to work well? It did work from the start.

- After a few, maybe 20-30 hours of use, the lamp has started to drip kerosene from the top. It flows down on the glass and sometimes it drips from the reflector and it catches fire at the top. This happens every time now after maybe 45 seconds of using the rapid burner.

Could you tell me what I should start checking? I love this lamp. If I only could get it working as it should...

Edit: I am using lamp oil as fuel. Do you think that may be the problem? It says on the bottle that it works with all different kinds of kerosene equipment.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von flux ()

• first, responsible for all kind of inquiries with issues with the lamp is the seller.
    why don´t you contact him ?

the manometer is not necessary for the function of the petromax, but only gives you a hint on the pressue.

if oil is leaking from the top (nozzle?), whe the handwheel is closed, there is an issue with the valve at the bottom (part #196) on the carburettor in the tank.
    perhaps the valve is damaged or an item prevents it from closing properly.

• I actually sent an email to the seller which told me they forwarded the mail to Petromax. I have little hope that they will aid me in this, since I have heard nothing in ten days. I will try to fix this by myself if possible.

Before I take it apart to check for part #196, is it possible that the fuel itself makes this problem?

• You can easy check, where the Petro drips out:
    Empty the tank ; unmount the upper parts of the lantern, until you have only tank with carburetor and rapid burner attached ; close the carburetor valve ; pump up the tank with air to 2-3 bar ; put the complete tank under water ; have a closer look from all sides, if anywhere air leaks an bubbles appear.

good luck.

br
    willi

Demut tät' uns allen gut.

• you have to unscrew the whole carburettor #115. take the tank between your thighs and unscrew the carburettor with a pliers at the opposite site of the handwheel.
    after the repair you have to replace the seal #90 by a new one.

here is a nice video of stripping a petromax:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjKjrdVjSN4

• Hi!

I am back again. Problem is really not solved. Or maybe it is, but I cannot test fully. I did actually receive spares from Petromax (Sandra, thanks!), and changed them and checked that everything was tight. Tightened the ceramic nozzle a tad bit too much, and it broke before I could test the new vaporizer valve. Ordered a new nozzle, Inox, from Ebay. Fitted that one, a new mantle, and fired up! Worked good until the nozzle actually fell down! It doesn't fit actually! Am I missing a bushing maybe?

And again, the freshly supplied manometer isnät working either, just as the one that was delivered with the lamp from the start. But as I have heard it's not that important, correct?

• The Inox nozzle tends to widen the mixing chamber during operation.
    It's recommended to stay with the clay/ceramic nozzle.

But now you also need to replace the mixing chamber.

The manometer you can test with a butane lighter refill . those have 2,1 bar pressure.
    dismanlte the manometer to check why it blocks.

regards

• Yes, it fits and stays in place, when you drill a hole and wind a screw through the side of mixing chamber and nozzle.
    Not a nice measure, but it works, and lasts.
    regards
    willi

PS. the problem derives from the different temperature expansion coefficients of Inox and brass.