How long does a mantle last?

• Hi all,

Question, I was wondering how long a mantle lasts with normal usage. They seem to be almost indistructable, and only damage when taking out the top, or pumping it without the car pressurehose adaptor thingie. I got the present one running now for 3 liters of lampoil, and it still looks pretty new to me.

Many thanks in advance for the advice.
    Kind regards,
    Dutch

To Petromax or not to Petromax, that's the question.

• the usual mantle life is between 2 minutes to 2 years ;)
    it depends on so much reasons, like quality of the mantle, skills of the user, size of the mantle ...
    i have an mantle in my 250 HK in use for over 2 years now, and the lamp is my main camp light equipment in my landcrusier...

• Hi Dutch,
    not much to add here, rather to sum up:
    - you won't have to change a mantle "on precaution" / because it's not bright enough.
    - you should immediately replace a physically damaged mantle, it will cause further damage to your glass / lamp will not run optimal
    - if it's all black due to being carbonized (coming from a failure to start "cleanly"), it depends: if any errors of the lamp are corrected, and the Petromax is running optimal, you can try to burn this mantle free. This may work sometimes, sometimes not -> another reason to change it.

Just as Martin said: It varies extremely. I've had mantles that were damaged during the first run of a tank full of full, others stayed for weeks or even months, with daily usage, some even despite being transported every day, and with no noticeable "fading" of brightness.

One final hint: store unused mantles in a dry place, and do so with your Petromax as well. "Moisture in the sock", be it unused or when in the lamp, in my experience leads to quicker damage.

„Ich finde, es sind die kleinen Dinge, alltägliche Taten von gewöhnlichen Leuten,
    die die Dunkelheit auf Abstand halten"
    (Mithrandir a.k.a Gandalf, "der Hobbit")

• Thanks for the help pfalzbrenner and the other guys, every bit of info is really appriciated here. It's really hard to find info like this in the original manual.

Happy new year, and a really blessed and peacefullf 2014 for all of you

Kind regards,
    Dutch

To Petromax or not to Petromax, that's the question.