Adjusting screw at mixture pipe leaks evaporated fuel

• Hi all,

I got a question about the screw on the mixture pipe. When I run the lamp without the top, a very visible white stream of evaporated fuel escapes from the adjusting screw.

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening?
    I tried filling it up with fluid gasket, heat resistant, but that just burns off.
    Also tried some copper slip, that goes up to 1100C, didn't do the trick.

Anybody tackled this problem? I'm also planning to use the lamp indoors, and evaporated parrafin isn't good for the lungs in the long run.

Many thanks in advance.
    Dutch

To Petromax or not to Petromax, that's the question.

• Good morning Dutch,

the newer mixing-pipes have quite loose paddles screwed into. So leaking (and smelling) is a problem that occurs quite often.

There are a couple of solutions possible. Some of them involve hard-soldering.

1.) Buy a new mixing-tube, put the paddle to "straight" and don't touch it again. The problem is, that in former times, there was a bigger thread-portion applied to the mixing tube. Nowadays it's only the material of the tube, that holds the paddle-screw in place.

2.) Buy: a M4 brass-nut, a long M4 brass-screw, a hard soldering kit, silver-solder
    take the original paddle out. Open the hole to about 4.5 mm, solder the nut from the outside onto the hole. Try to mount it and make sure, the nut is not touching the cap of the lamp. If so, grind the nut down to the appropriate thickness. Grind the bold's tip into paddle shape, screw it into the nut until the paddle almost touches the opposite inner tube, mark the position on the screw, where the nut ends, screw it out and cut off the screw-head at the mark. With a thin metall-saw, cut a slit into the bolt and you have a new paddle. Screw it into your fixed mixingtube and be happy.

3.) Just buy a soldering-kit and solder and a brass-screw M4. Take out the old paddle, open the hole to about 4.5mm and close it with the screw just so that it does not yield into the tube. Then solder the screw in place all round the screw, cut it and grind it down. Now you have a closed mixing tube with no paddle that will probably work as well as a mixing tube with paddle.

Remark: This applies to paddles that are held in place single sided. If you have a paddle where the tip is riveted to the mixing tube, you have to close the rivet-hole aswell!

HTH!

Cheers
    Armin

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von arminth ()

• Thanks for the fast reply Arminth.

Got some solder here, going to give it a try later today and keep you informed.

Kind regards,
    Dutch

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Dutch () aus folgendem Grund: Hi Arminth, Had a quick try to solder the lamp, but got the wrong solder overe here. Did a quick test run with the solder on the mixing pipe, it melted in like 0.001 second, not the right kind of solder. Going to order the right solder, give it a try again, and keep you informed. Kind regards and happy new year, Dutch

• Hi Arminth,

Had a quick try to solder the lamp, but got the wrong solder overe here. Did a quick test run with the solder on the mixing pipe, it melted in like 0.001 second, not the right kind of solder. Going to order the right solder, give it a try again, and keep you informed.

Kind regards and happy new year, Dutch

• Hi Willi,

I don't think soft soldering is gonna solve the problem, I already tried putting a bar of soft solder onto the pipe, and it melt in like 0.0001 second, so I've got to hard solder it.

The pipe is already in the ok adjustment, 14.2 mm, problem perseists. I'll keep you guys informed about my progress.

Thanks for all the help

Kind regard, and a happy blessed and relaxed 2014
    Dutch

• Hi dutch,
    don't misinterpret the hint. of course the soft solder melts on the lamp in operation. but it closes the gap between mixing screw and tube. no odour. And still, as long as the lamp is hot, the screw can be adjusted.
    that's the trick.
    br
    willi

Demut tät' uns allen gut.