Ridiculous check valve behavior.

• I got an Anchor 500CP and from new it seemed to take forever to get any pressure in it and would not go past the red mark.

So I got an EZ pump.

The check valve would not let any pressure in through the EZ pump.

I diisassembled the check valve, nothing wrong and refitted it.

This time I can hear the air going into the tank when I pump, but it stops at manometer reading 1.

I let some pressure out and try again, and two more times the valve works up until pressure "1".

Now I refitted the normal pump and the thing pumps up easier than ever, and to full pressure, and I can hear air going into the tank with each stroke.

So I refit the EZ pump and try again, and the check valve doesn't operate.

I put back the standard pump and again it works fine.

How can this possibly occur?

• Hi Coffinman,

hmm... to be mean...you bought an "Anchor", not the original. ;)

It may depend on poor quality of the rubber-seals, they may stick together with the brass, so the air can't get inside.
    Also it could depend on the pump-leather or the manometer, or all together.
    You cannot know how long the lamp stood in stock after production.
    Seals were aging and that may be the problem of your lamp. :done:

Or.. just "Anchor" instead of Petromax :rauch:

Best regards, Björn
    P.s. did you change the seal, or only checked it?

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Thanks for the reply.

I just checked the seal, it looked fine, unlike the fuel valve which the seal kept popping out of, until I put a little nick in the edge of the housing to keep it in.

(I have to point out that I have read users on this forum that had this same problem with the Petromax also from new).

I have a feeling that the check valve may be getting stuck on some burr on the air exit holes in the valve body when there is pressure in the tank. these holes seem to be smaller than on the Petromax. I may strip the valve again and try some sandpaper in there. I could also try and sand the valve piston.

I am hoping that after it has been used a bit it will work easier.

I'm still waiting for parts before I can use it. The parts I ordered came and when I went to fit them the burner fell ti bits.

I still cannot explain why the standard pump will push air through wheras the bicycle pump won't.

I haven't tried it on a compressor airline yet.

I know there is a difference between Petromax and its clones but I don't think it is as terrible as the difference between a BMW and a Chang Jiang.

I looked to find mention of people complaining about Anchor being rubbish and I never found it.

This lamp has cost money due to damage from not working properly to begin with, but I think the same could have happened with a Petromax.

Any comparisons you can make between the two would be appreciated.

• Did You have tested the manometer with a Butan-bottle for refilling lighters? The Butan-bottle have a pressure off 2 kg/ccm. So You should reach the red mark on the manometer, if You do the nozzle of the butan-bottle in the hole of the manometer and press. If You reach only 1 kg/ccm, You have to repair Your manometer.

Because the pumpadapter I had the same problem with some Petromax. I think, it's because the two valves and the pumptube. If You use the normal pump, the pressure is high enough to open the valve. When You use the pumpadapter, the pressure must at first fill the pumptube and then it must be high enough to open the bottomvalve against the pressure of the metallfeather in the valve and against the pressure in the tank. I used an electric handcompressor and it doesn't work enough to get enough pressure in the tank.

Sorry for my bad english, I hope You understand, what I mean!

• Hello Coffinmen,

I still cannot explain why the standard pump will push air through wheras the bicycle pump won't.

I think the same as Andreas already said, the pressure in the pumptube is not high enoth to open the valve at the bottom. At the beginning it is working cause of the lover pressure inside the tank, onece the pressure in the pumptube is to low to overcome the valves closing force.

The Butan-bottle have a pressure off 2 kg/ccm. So You should reach the red mark on the manometer, if You do the nozzle of the butan-bottle in the hole of the manometer and press. If You reach only 1 kg/ccm, You have to repair Your manometer.

Additional: the pressure of butan is temperature-dependent, so use butan at 20°C.

For some pictues (because the text is in german) you can also look in Petrowikia --> LINK

Gruß Rüdiger [iogear1]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erst eine PX500 BW, jetzt Ʃ14805HK + Ʃ39,7kW + Ʃ173''.... mol seehn wat noch kimmt :whistling:

• I think, it's because the two valves and the pumptube. If You use the normal pump, the pressure is high enough to open the valve. When You use the pumpadapter, the pressure must at first fill the pumptube and then it must be high enough to open the bottomvalve against the pressure of the metallfeather in the valve and against the pressure in the tank.

I think you are right.

Other people don't report a problem but maybe they use a foot pump and maybe it puts more pressure. I will have to try it.

I didn't do the butane test but the standard pump works well so I think the manometer is ok.

• For some pictues (because the text is in german) you can also look in Petrowikia --> LINK

Thanks for that.

One difference between the Anchor and petromax may be that when the Anchor manometer is fitted tightly it rests upside down.

How stupid is that?

• This may occur on Petromax-lamps, too, because it depends on the measure of the rubberseal...

It doesn't look that nice, but won't influence the manometers work.
    Sometimes it is helpful, using 2 rubberseals to avoid getting an bad neck while checking the manometer. :done:

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• You MUST use at least a foot pump to pressurize the fount...anything else with less power etc is not strong enough...I find it better also to use the pre-heater cup to heat the gen up as apposed to the rapid heater...

OCD.. Obsessive Coleman Disorder 8o