Hasag 351L help needed - Updated 29/3 19:25

• Dear All

I recently found 2 pcs of Hasag 351L for the bargain of 16 Euro :-)

Unfortunately the tanks were completely eaten away by rust, big holes in the
    bottoms, in top and side of tanks plus areas with so thin metal that is it
    broke when you touched the tank. So I had to get them repaired and painted with
    heat resistant paint even though I like the original look best. But ok - they
    will never get to work again if I did nothing so I did.The first on is now completely ready to run - and in fact I started it up
    yesterday but here the problems begin:

It burns with large flames around the wick so now I am starting to wonder:

1) I used Kerosene/Petroleum but is this lantern actually for Benzin? It says
    "Für spiritus" but I thought that indicated that Alcohol should be
    used for pre-heating as normally in lanterns. But does Spiritus mean anything
    else in german? Could not find a translation of “Spiritus” to either Benzin or
    Kerosene/Petroleum….?

2) I
    pre-heat with the needle up ( should the “lid” above the pre-heater cup be in
    to or low position when pre-heating), light it just when the pre-heater cup is
    about to burn out by turning the knob down (needle down) and then it lights –
    but with many flames around the mantle. It actually burns better when I turn
    the needle up again?? But still with flames around the mantle.

It should
    be said that I of course have tested the lamp in preasurized state under water
    and it is tight – and furthermore the distance from the nozzle to the mixing
    tube is fixed on this lantern, so it is not because of tightness problems or to
    rich a kerosene/petroleum and air.

I have read
    something about that the needle should be down when pre-heating, turned up 1
    minute before pre-heater is burned out, and lighted with the needle up…?? And
    that these Hasag lanterns should be preassurized very slowly compared to the
    Petromax lanterns– and that this could be the problem??

So I am somewhat
    confused.. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance :-)

• Hi Casper,

the swiss 551L is in deed for gasoline (Benzin), not for kerosene.

Preheating is with "Spiritus" = alcohol.
    You should preheat with needle down and fillercap-releasescrew open.

Than, short before alcohol is burned up, close releasescrew on fillercap and start pumping slowly.

And yes, the 551L needs time and little breaks while pumping, before getting the best result.
    Taking 10-15 minutes to bring it to full pressure (red line)will bring best results.

Good Luck, Björn :done:

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• hello and congrats to your very good find !

hasag 551 are "benzin" lamps, which ist gasoline (am) petrol (br).
    the even do run on kerosene which is "petroleum" in german, but might geht to hot.

for preheating you should use "spiritus" which is spirit / alcohol.

for starting the lamp, it should be without pressure, as there is no valve in the tank, like on petromax lamps.
    fill the preheating cup with spirit and wait tll it is burnt up, then slowly pump up the lamp.
    needle should alwas be down, despite in case for cleaning the nozzle.

i think the flames rsult of not having the lamp properly preheated.
    if you use kerosene, you should extend preheating.
    but i would recommend using petrol as fuel on this lamp.

i hope this helps ?

• Hello

Hasag 551 L and tanks eaten away by rust :?:

I have 6 prc of these lamps and tanks are made of non magnetic material - mat cromed brass - and can't rust :?:

Your lamps are for gasoline and preheating with alcohol.

I preheat it so:

1. Needle lever up
    2. Alcohol in small cup - fill it two times
    3. Close the filler cap AND release cap
    4. Light the preheating
    5. When it is almost burnt out - pump slowly an to 0,2 Bar and the lamp will light in the meantime
    6. And a good friend of mine told me to do it so - drink one whisky and when you are finish pump to 0,4 Bar , and another whisky and pump to 0,6 Bar and so on........

And it never fails!

There is only one problem - when you light more than one of these lamps and only one at time.......... ......... you could be drunk before finishing :D

Serius - take your time with lighting these lamps - you will be payed for it - good luck

• Thank you for your answers.

I have a couple of follow-up questions since I have always used Kerosene burning lanters and these are my first benzin burning lanters:

1) Should I use high or low octane benzin?
    2) Should I buy a Lead additive and add to the un-leaded benzine (Like you do with some vintage mopeds etc.) And how much should be added pr liter?
    3) Should I use a special mantle (finer threads or other)??
    3) You write that it should be able to run on kerosene as well but from what I have found yesterday that is not the case - even with double or tripple pre-heating. Should it really be able to run on kerosene and what could I be doing wrong if not the pre-heating? For your reference I can tell you that I have used a 500cp mantle from a Pelam spare part kit.

Thank you again :-)

• Hello Viking

My versions are black were painted 351L from original and I can tell you that they were NOT made of brass :-). I can upload pictures when I get home so you can see the original with all their rust. Perhaps the black version were made of cheaper material since they should be painted black??

I can also tell you that I bought the lanterns from and elderly married couple who's family has lived on the same farm for generations. The wife told me that the lanterns were bought by her grandfather some time during the 2nd world war and that was why he chose the black painted versions so there were no reflections from chrome or brass. Resistance people with lanters or some other story springs to mind...?? I dont know, but it was fun to take them down from their resting place in the barn where they has been hanging on the same two nails since shortly after the war :-)

And to a fellow Dane: Halløj Sønder Omme med hilsner fra Aalborg :-)

BR Casper

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von casperfalden ()

• you can either use any petrol. for indoor use, süecial cleaned petrol might be better.
    there is no need for additives.
    remember, this is a lamp designed for military use.
    no special mantles are necessary. every 300 cp-mantle will fit.

i tested my 551 with kerosene and it worked fine. i filled up 2 cups of spirit.

• Yes that was what I thought as well - that it should be able to run on kerosene..

I have been thinking:

Is it possible that the small hole in the nozzle has been "expanded" by frequent use of the needle - making the kerosene/air mix too "rich"

I have a plan to take the nozzle from the other one and mount it this evening. If this clears up the problem then that should be the issue.

By the way: Where could I find a new nozzle for the 351L if this is the problem?

BR Casper

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von casperfalden ()

• My versions are black were painted 351L from original and I can tell you that they were NOT made of brass :-). I can upload pictures when I get home so you can see the original with all their rust. Perhaps the black version were made of cheaper material since they should be painted black??

Sorry Casper - forget it!

Med venlig hilsen
    Flemming

• Dear All

I changed the nozzle with the nozzle from the other Hasag - and this seems to have helped. It should be said that the two nozzles are not identical, and I suspect that the first one I tried is not meant to be used with this lantern. However now when the mantle was not one big "sea of flames" I of course added more preasure and what happens...

Nooo - kereosene was seeping from out below the tank. I dismantled the lantern and preasure tested it under water AGAIN and yes.... A TINY hole in the bottom of the tank where preasure was just happily bubbling away. It was not there when I preasure tested under water before I started it up.. So once again it was one of the areas with very thin material thickness that gave in when higher preasure was inside the tank. Sadly I did not discover that area

So now I have to remove the paint in the damaged area and get it fixed - then afterwards I will try one again.

Arrrgh :wallbash:

• This may be a physical problem, because air can be compressed, but liquids don't.

I hope, the next soldering will fix it.
    Good luck, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Now I have soldered the hole in the bottom of the tank

Afterwards I tested the lantern - it is now tight - but the same problem exists as with the other lantern. They simply burn too rich, but burns almost perfectly when I place the nipple in top position into the nozzle. So the nozzles are worn out - and actually it is clear just when looking at the nozzles. The holes are too big and also alsmost elliptical in shape.

So now I have ordered nipples and nozzles from www.hasag.info and I hope they will fit even though they are ment for Hasag 551 - anyone have tested this?

BR Casper

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Benz-ihn ()