River Trail lantern!

• Hi All

Apologies if im going off topic, has anyone got any info on this lantern.. "River Trail"

Tried to get some info online with no luck..any info much appreciated.

• Hi! Why should you be going off-topic? This section is all about pressure lamps, so feel free to ask whatever you like to know.
    It looks like the lantern has the same size like the 150HK Petromax or Geniol lanterns.
    Where did you get it from?
    It looks pretty interesting and like it´s brand new, is it unused or did you polish your hands off :naughty: ?

Stefan

• Hi! Why should you be going off-topic? This section is all about pressure lamps, so feel free to ask whatever you like to know.
    It looks like the lantern has the same size like the 150HK Petromax or Geniol lanterns.
    Where did you get it from?
    It looks pretty interesting and like it´s brand new, is it unused or did you polish your hands off :naughty: ?

Stefan

Hi Stefan

Thanks...I bought the lantern from Canada and it looks like it has not been used much... Didn't get to shine it up yet as its still in transit from Canada but looking forward to getting at all the brass bits...hard to find info on this make or what year it was made...As you said its very like the 150 petromax at 31cm in height..I hope to be able to find some kind of stamp somewhere on the lantern when it arrives....looks a nice little lantern!

There is a company in US/Can that sells outdoor equipment hiking/camping etc...i even found some River Trail mantles but no information on lantern..I would like to think that it was made in Canada...hopefully :)

OCD.. Obsessive Coleman Disorder 8o

• The only visible brass parts are the vapouriser and the flame protection tube of the rapid preheater.
    Don´t waste time and energy on polishing these parts, they get the same colour they have now again after the first use.

Stefan

• Yes true..Im a little OTT when it comes to clean lanterns :)...your right tho a complete waste of time back to black in no time!

• Well, you surely can or should clean these parts, too, soot and sticky stuff have to be removed, if there is any. Maybe with some wire wool for the vapouriser, but polishing is useless, maybe the lower part but that´s not really visible anyways.
    As for the hood, if it has some colours like blue or violet, it´s no use to polish these away. The colours return during usage of the lamp.
    Sure, the definitions of "clean" differ, but in my opinion "clean" has not to be pretty, just without dirt that keeps the lantern from running.
    By the way, most of us sign the postings with their first name if the nickname doesn´t already contain it, it makes talking easier.

Stefan

• Stefan

yes ...very rude of me...

Have been messing around with lanterns for some years now and started cleaning them all last week...(Now when I say all I mean 4 :) ..one full tube of Auto Sol gone (on brass parts only) as well as most of my finger prints :)

I got the bug bad...

Regards
    Michael

• Oh, no problem, there are forums on the internet, where it is usual and some where it is not.
    I only polish devices which are unused or nearly unused, because I think a blowtorch that has dents and deeper scratches but is polished to high gloss looks riddiculous. I only polish unused or nearly unused devices, because I think a blowtorch with dents and deeper scratches, that is polished to high gloss look ridiculous.
    Your lamp looks like it hasn't been used more often than two or three times. But don't oderdo it, some chrome layers are thin so you could possibly turn your chromated lantern into one with some brass coloured spots.

Stefan

• Stefan

Ive been doing some homework on this "River Trail" Its turns out as I was told in the CCF forum that this lantern is a petromax...They were made for the Canadian market and were sold in Canada by a large hardware/outdoor chain of shops called "Canadian Home Hardware"..I was just talking to a guy who bought 1 some years back and all paperwork/instructions etc was from petromax!!!...Cant be a bad lantern then :)

• Hi peer

Thank you.

I will try and find the information...I think it might be China, India, or the Philipines ..they are supposed to be a very well made lantern and strong not like some of the petromax clones

• Hi Karli

Thanks for the info....mystery solved :)