Flame at Needle ???

• Hi all

Im new at the forum so be gentle :) Is it normal to have a small flame at the needle No68. ?? I have a new HK500

Thanks
    Michael

OCD.. Obsessive Coleman Disorder 8o

• Hey Michael!

:welcome: Welcome here! :welcome:

=> The flame you see at the needle (# 68 ) is normal (if the light gets turned off)

The needle has just the function to keep the nozzle (# 50) clean of rests of (burned) fuel or dust.
    If the latern is turned off, part 193 stopps the fuel going into the carburetter (# 152 + 153). But the fuel-rests which are in the carburetter will still be burned.

Many greetings!
    Ben from Germany

PS: I am sorry for my bad english and my (perhaps) too short answer

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ben ()

• Hi Michael,

like Ben mentioned, when you shut the lantern off by handwheel, there can appear a little flame at the jet for some seconds.
    But not in use, if you have a flame there in use, the jet loosened and has to be fixed. :done:

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Ben your english is perfect..if not better than mine :)..and your answer even better. Thanks for the info Bjorn, the needle has come loose :applaudit:

Im having some teething problems with it. It seems to running a bit fuel rich, should i ajust the mixing shaft???

• if the mantle glows in taints of yellow or orange than yes, place the mixingshaft 1-2 mm higher. 14-16mm between shaft and jet are perfect.
    It should glow bright white or with a light greenish touch (what would be perfect for a Petromax on the green Island) :done:

Good luck, Björn :rauch:

God created men.

• :) Yes pleanty of yellow and orange and FLAMES!!! I will ajust and see how it behaves...And i shall return (With or without eyesbrows!) to tell.

Thanks Bjorn

• A little hint, shut down the lamp before adjusting and let it cool down :done:

It helps keeping eyebrows and prevents durable fingerprints on your lamphood. :done:

Good luck, Björn

God created men.

• Yes indeed :) Lamp is running much better now thanks all..Great looking lamp..its a pity to get that nice chrome hood all discoloured from heat...Would be nice have have a second one to keep in show condition :) or maybe a brass one next!!

• Very true..Its just nice when you take them out of the box for the first time..I feel some OCD lamp collecting coming on

• hehe, be careful.
    First you want one, than two or three - just for use... and then it ends up like this:
    You possess a little museum and everybody says that you're insane :naughty:

Good luck, Björn

p.s. the brass-hoods getting silver on top in use :naughty:

• again does one want to become addicted? petrolitis the virus is incurable:D

• Borjn..WOW!!

:applaudit: What a collection!..Well done you..Im developing a thing for lamps...My Mrs knows that im a little insane already so i have a head start

• Ruler of light

I think its too late!! :traurig:..Ive got the bug :naughty:

• would appreciate any further info on tryin to get this lamp to stop throwing flames...It could be my first and last Pertomax:traurig:

• No more flame at needle:)...It has just turned into a flame thrower..Big ones :) Had this problem with a petrol North star but i thought it would not be an issue with a paraifin lamp:traurig:

• Did you pre-heat your Petromax correctly for 80 to 90s? Do you use the Rapid?

See if your inner mantle (# 117) has been accidentally moved (the jet needs to point into the mixing shaft). And while you’re at it see if the jet has loosened.

• Hi Michael,

flames do always incicate something as loosened - or too short preheating.

It could describe a lack of pressure also, then sometimes the flame from inside the mantle jumps back into the mixing-shaft or to the needle - this is dangerous (backdraft) and can glow away your mixing-shaft.
    This appears with a strange noise like a bumblebee in the upper lamp.

But i would guess your problem appears because of the first two mentioned problems. :done:

Good luck, Björn

God created men.

• Thanks all

I will put my engineering skills to the test :done: and report back on this gripping issue:D