Petromax HK500 Questions

• Hi,

after filling my brand new HK500 equipprd with the stainless steel burner with the only avalaible blue colored kerosene I observe the following:
    Nice white light for 15 min. Slowly the light fainted with orange flame surrounded the mandel. Where is the problem? How I can get the legendary performance of the lamp?
    In case of faulty fuel how I can clean the lamp.

Thanks!

• Hello Dimitris,

it sounds like your lamp is loosing pressure. Does your Manometer work properly?

It is also possible that your stainless-nozzle causes problems - this often happens. I would suggest that you check all led-seals by pulling the vaporizer and the rapidburner a little bit more tight into the ledseal.

Adding to this I would use a ceramik-nozzle, not the stainless one, as the negative effects are more than the positive ones while using the stainless version.

It also could be the simple problem, that just a little part of dirt stuck in the jet. Next time your lamp gets darker, just spin the handwheel for 360° quickly one or two times to clean the jet with the needle. This could be caused by your coloured fuel.

To clean your lamp, remove the vaporizer completely, separate its parts and place them in a cleaningfluid like Acetone or machine-dischalker (citone-acid) for several hours. After that blow out the parts by air-pressure and if needed, add some mecanical cleaning with a wire.

Good luck, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Thanks for your advice. I turn the hand wheel sometimes and the situation improved but after few minutes the problem returned. I guess that the steel burner expands differently from the rest device and causes the gas to escape. I will change to the ceramic and communicate the results.

The bad news is that the only available fuel is the colored one. The only clean alternative is the liquid paraffin. Can I use it?

• Hi Dimitris,

yes, you can use paraffin-oil without any problems in your petromax.
    It is even cleaner than kerosene. :done:

Good Luck, Björn

God created men.

• The steel nozzle replaced. I empty the lamp with kerosene from another vendor (also blue colored), change mantle, adjust the distance from nozzle, and the adjust the mixing screw. And finally the lamp works!!!

• Great :done:

Enjoy your lamp - that works most perfectly when you're sitting at the beach with cool beer and on sundown. Take some friends and make the following night your day! :party: :rauch: :prost:

Always good licht, Björn

God created men.

• Thanks Bjorn.

I live outside of Athens, in a place that reminds Suburds of Hamburg. I lived in Hamburg twelve years ago working for Berenberg Bank. Have nice memories from your city. Thanks again!!!

• Hehe, a friend of mine works also for Berenberg - like i always mention, the world is a village :naughty:

Greetings to Athens, Björn

God created men.