829B Bundeswehr HK 500

• What's up forum !
    I'm thinking of buying an 829 B. Bundeswehr 1960's- 70's .
    Army issue in metal case with tools ,booklet,padlock and key etc.
    Does anyone know what I should expect to pay ? Thanks in advance

...and he guided them with the SUN by day and a PETROMAX by night......Mysticman030

• Hi MM,

it depends on the condition :naughty:
    If it is unused, they are traded between 45,-€ and about 128,-€
    Another point is "Petromax or Geniol"
    (Geniol is the same lamp, being produced from 1970 on but in Portugal, not in Germany)

And be careful, don't forget the shipping and import-tax of your country :traurig:

A used one could be a good alternate, because you will have to change all seals in both varieties, and the old sprareparts are mostly dead too.

Used Lamps in good conditions you can find from 35,-€ upwards.

Good luck, Björn :done:

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Thank you Bjorn, how difficult are they to find and can you find one in very good condition (like new)and I'll pay you for it? If not no problem.

I've seen some on eBay but they're pricey. Thanks in advance

...and he guided them with the SUN by day and a PETROMAX by night......Mysticman030

• Hi MM,
    i would suggest, you should ask for in the german subforum "Tauschbörse"

surely someone has an Army-PX too much.
    And most Germans do understand english. :naughty:
    And can answer - with hands and feet.

So just give it a try, a good one in usen conditions should be between 35,- and 75,-€

Elseway I could make an ask for you and people who want to sell one should write a private message to you.

Best regards, Björn

God created men.

• Thanks for all your help Bjorn and Andreas .
    I think I've found some from the link you gave me.
    Now my problem is deciding over the gasoline (staight generator)or the kerosene(loop generator)
    what do you think?

Can I burn kerosene in the straight generator ?

Changing seals and all,I've heard the main problem with gasoline in the lamp
    is that it doesn't have a Positive Shutoff Valve .
    How much of a safety factor is this?

Thank you, Mm 030

• Hi MM,

the straight generator can not burn kerosene properly, but the kerosene-gernerator can also burn gasoline.

To make that work properly, you have to change the seals of the pump and the generator-one down in the tank to a kerosene-resistant rubber like "Vitton." This is important, as elseway you cannot start or shutoff the lantern properly, or gasoline can rinse out of the pump and might catch fire.... not nice in all three cases.

The gasoline-resistant seals do work also properly with kerosene.
    In case of using gasoline it only needs more care while filling the tank and starting the lamp than using kerosene. While being in use, there is no more or less danger between both fuels, as both are in vaporized and explosive conditions. :done: But i've never heard from an accident of an exploded Petromax - most accidents do happen because of "not thinking while filling the tank" :zwille: or "forgetting about the heat while placing the working lantern" :grenade:

Good luck, Björn

God created men.

• I had a feeling I should get the kero generator. But I ended up buying the gasoline
    because I liked the lamp better (unused from 1959 )
    if I don't like the way it burns kero I'll replace the gen. But it's cheaper to burn gasoline.

• Hey!

Don't mind burning kero with the straight generator.
    I use one Bundeswehr-Lamp (gasoline-generator and an Anchor-Lamp from China with kerosene-generator .
    The only difference for me is that you need longer preheating times when burning kerosene with the universal (straight) generator. Not really a problem. However YMMV

bye, Markus

• Hi thanks, I should have mine in a week or so. Then I'll try it out.
    It would make sense to preheat longer ,especially in colder weather.
    Thanks again,
    Mm030.

• Hi everyone, Hope all is well.
    Can't believe it's been that long but I am finally getting around to posting some pictures of this lamp. I love this lamp.

• Hi "mysticman" - wow, almost seven years later still remembering this forum.
    Congrats to your deal, looks like the lamp is in very good estate, though not completely unused. (who cares - I assume you want to use it, so the top hat would get heat tinting anyway)

Have fun ...
    Matt

„Ich finde, es sind die kleinen Dinge, alltägliche Taten von gewöhnlichen Leuten,
    die die Dunkelheit auf Abstand halten"
    (Mithrandir a.k.a Gandalf, "der Hobbit")

• Thanks Matt, Yea long time no see.
    The lamp was unfired when I got it and I wanted to keep it that way but could not resist,... this is the gasoline model.

Question, how do the pictures look on your end? Only asking cause I uploaded from my phone and was a bit tricky. I also picked up a few other models of which I'll post pictures soon.
    Best regards,

Mm030 :prost:

• Hi, The pictures are absolutes fine, Sharp and good Details despite The funny Size Limit of The Forum softwaren

„Ich finde, es sind die kleinen Dinge, alltägliche Taten von gewöhnlichen Leuten,

• Sorry For The Bad spelling. Struggling to get my mobile Out of german Auto correction. PITA.