Best fuel for matador type burners?

• I use kerosene (Petroleum, fotogen in swedish) in all my lamps, but I'm going to give a Carl Holy "Volksbrenner" as a Christmas gift to my parents. They use "Lamp oil" (n-Paraffin) in their Kosmos lamp.

Should I recommend them to only use kerosene for the Carl Holy lamp, or is n-Paraffin ok to use also in lamps with flamespreaders?

• Hi Spajd,
    if the lamp oil is the type sold for regular* wickl lamps (Duplex,Queen Anne, Matador, side-draught, central-draught etc..) it should be fine, if it is the very expensive stuff sold in small bottles it is usually meant for those 'oil candle' type art-glass lamps with a fibreglass wick, this oil is usually rubbish in larger lamps with chimneys and burners designed to induce draught to increase flame brightness, it often will not travel up the wick fast enough to prevent the wick burning away.
    It sounds like if it works in a Kosmos then you may have the 'good' stuff rather than the expensive stuff, usually the fuel to avoid has 'smokeless and odourless' on the label.

I tend to use regular Kerosene but they call it Paraffin here which is confusing for the rest of the world.

Good luck!, all the best, Iain.

• Zitat

Original von Iain Hunt
    Hi Spajd,

I tend to use regular Kerosene but they call it Paraffin here which is confusing for the rest of the world.

Good luck!, all the best, Iain.

Confusing yes - where is here ?????

• Hi there,
    Paraffinoil is much more thicker than Kerozene, and the Carl holy was made by origin for Solaroil which was very very thin.

You will need also a very thick and fluffy wick for it, otherwise it just will burn away - i have the same problem at the moment. The wick should be 2-2,5mm strong and you should use kerosene, as it would be easier to carry up for the wick in a Carl Holy.

I still search for an adequate wick too...

Good Jul, and i would suggest kerozene for it, Björn :nikolaus:

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Benz-ihn ()

• Ok, I'll recommend Kerosene for it! :done:

The reason my parents use n-Paraffin is to avoid the smell of burning Kerosene, but the Carl Holy burner I use myself have so effective burn that it doesn't smell at all, except a puff when lighting and blowing it out.

The n-Paraffin burns well in a Kosmos, but I have noticed that the brass doesn't oxidize and darken normally, so I presume that it gets coated with a thin film of the oily Paraffin. :besserwisser:

Iain, isn't the most expensive "lamp oil" the thicker kind that often have prefume added? :kotz:

God Jul! Frohe Weihnachten! Merry Christmas!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Spajd ()

• Hi, Spajd!

Here is a picture of my "Volksbrenner"s flame.P1010524.jpg
    Really great, isn´t it?
    I use paraffinoil and a very fluffy wick (like Björn mentioned)
    I think, that a well fitting wick (thickness) is the most important factor for such kind of lamps.
    :nikolaus:

Best regards, Gerald

Die wahren Lebenskünstler sind bereits glücklich, wenn sie nicht unglücklich sind. (Jean Anouilh)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von HerrLehmann ()

• Spajd, I think the expensive stuff is more viscous and slow to travel up wicks other than fibre glass rope-wick...
    I also have heard the expensive stuff is synthetic and possibly made with plant oils or is at least a lot different than Kerosene.

• :done: The lamp was well liked and became a conversation piece during our Christmas evening at my parents. The guests became interested in kerosene lamps.

We tried it with kerosene, and since it didn't smell at all they will continue to use kerosene with it. :done: